Edmond Fire Department Recruitment
The Edmond Fire Department will begin accepting applications on Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8am. At that time, the link to the online application questionnaire will be posted on this page. Applications must be filled out online. The form will close and all applications must be submitted by Friday, September 15, 2017 at 5pm.
Edmond Fire Department Hiring Qualifications
- Citizen of the United States or have Resident Alien Status.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school graduate or approved equivalent.
- Must demonstrate the ability to perform all required job functions and successfully complete a minimum physical/agility test as set forth by the City of Edmond and the Oklahoma State Firefighters Pension and Retirement System.
- Qualify in a battery of mental aptitude tests.
- Pass a rigid background investigation.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma state driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier. (any valid driver license is acceptable for application purpose, valid Oklahoma driver license required for employment)
What to Expect from the Hiring Process
The hiring process for the Edmond Fire Department takes approximately 4 months to complete. There are several steps included that the interested individual MUST complete prior to being considered for employment. After each step the number of candidates moving forward to the next step is decreased due to individual performance on that process step.
- City of Edmond Questionnaire and Application
- Physical Ability Test Demonstration and Practice
- Physical Ability Practice Sessions
- Written Examination
- Physical ability Test (See video below.)
- Board Interview
- Fire Chief’s Interview
- Polygraph Exam
- CPI Psychological Testing
- Various Background checks
- State Pension Board Physical
- Post Offer Pre-Placement Physical Screening
The Edmond Fire Department looks for individuals with high levels of integrity, honesty, compassion and moral character. A desire to serve, a strong sense of work ethic and ability to communicate well with others are very important.
Once an individual is hired, they will attend the approximately 5 month Edmond Fire Department Recruit Academy.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Edmond is an equal opportunity employer. Edmond does not discriminate against employees and/or potential employees. Adverse action based upon an applicant's and/or employee's race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, pregnancy, disability, genetic information and military service is expressly prohibited. No decision affecting the terms, conditions and/or benefits of employment with the City of Edmond is based upon an individual's membership in any of the aforementioned protected classes.
All applicants must possess, or obtain a minimum certification of a Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) within 18 months from date of hire and maintain certification and approval to operate under the Department Medical Director's license while working within the Suppression or Training Divisions for the duration of employment with the City of Edmond Fire Department.