Future Construction Projects

The following projects are under constant review and may be moved up or down in the scheduling depending on availability of funding and local priorities. 


2nd and Bryant


This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes for all four directions as well as a single right turn lane for all four directions. New signal lights will be installed and connected back to the Traffic Management Center. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements.  New Water lines and Sanitary Sewer lines will be included with this project.

The estimated construction cost is $4,469,971.52. The project is funded with 100% City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The anticipated start date is Spring 2021.

December 2020 update: Construction plans are complete. AT&T is currently relocating their lines and should be complete by mid-January 2021. All other utility companies have completed their relocations.  Project bidding should take place in January 2021 with construction starting in early spring 2021.

Phase 3, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) on 15th Street and on Kelly Ave

This project consists of installing 10.5 miles of fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on 15th Street from Santa Fe to I-35 and on Kelly from south City limits to Robin Hill in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.  

The estimated construction cost is $9,292,846. The City will receive 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital improvement Sales Tax Fund. The City’s consultant is currently preparing construction plans with an anticipated start date in late summer 2021. After completion of the phase 3 project, 64% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 36% are running off older technology.

December 2020 update: Consultant continues with design plans. Oklahoma Department of Transportation has this project tentatively scheduled for April 2021 bidding.

Covell and I-35 Ramp Signals


This project consists of widening the Northbound off ramp to Covell to increase capacity. Traffic signal lights will be installed at the Northbound and Southbound on/off ramps on Covell. These signals will be designed with the latest ITS technology and will be connected to the Traffic Management Center.

The estimated construction cost is $1,981,224 and will be funded with 100% city funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Construction is anticipated in the summer of 2021.

December 2020 update: Construction plans are complete and are under review at the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Bidding is expected to take place in Feb/Mar 2021 with construction beginning in late spring 2021.

2nd and Boulevard


This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes, two through lanes, and a right turn lane for Southbound direction and one left turn lane, two through lanes, and one right turn lane for Northbound direction. No widening will occur on 2nd Street due to limited right-of-way. New signal lights will be installed and connected back to the Traffic Management Center. Current construction estimate is $2,027,300 and will be funded with 100% City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Construction date is currently unknown.  

December 2020 update: City was able to secure an easement from the First Christian Church which will allow additional improvements to the westbound direction that were not part of the original contract. Those improvements consist of two through lanes, one left turn lane, and one right turn lane. The existing offset alignment in the westbound direction will be improved. The construction plans are currently 52% complete. Construction is anticipated in 2022.

Danforth and Kelly


This project will widen the intersection to a four-lane divided road with dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. A new signal light will be installed and connected to the Traffic Management Center. The project extents will be approximately 1400 feet east, west and south and 500 feet to the north.
The estimated cost is $6,190,143.  The City will receive 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The project is currently listed in federal fiscal 2022.  

December 2020 update: The environmental review in under way at the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT). ODOT has this project listed for funding in Federal Fiscal Year 2022.

Danforth and Sooner


This project consists of widening Danforth and Sooner intersection to include left turn lanes, two through lanes, and where possible right turn lanes. The intersection will be signalized. Retaining walls will be necessary on Danforth west of Sooner due to the existing grades. Estimated construction cost is $9,772,988. This project was approved for $7,500,000 in federal funds with the remaining $2,272,988 in City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The anticipated start date is in 2023/24.

December 2020 update:  design is 56% complete. The scope of project has expanded to include widening in front of the Francis Tuttle building with left and right turn lanes and a signal light at School Street which is the main entrance to the Francis Tuttle facility.

Covell Widening from east of Bryant to east of Coltrane

This project will widen Covell to provide for a four-lane divided roadway where possible. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets where possible. Covell may also include street lighting, 10-foot-wide multi-use paths/sidewalks, and landscaping. 
The project is currently under design. The estimated construction cost is $15,867,406.  The anticipated start date is unknown.

December 2020 update: Design contract is 23% complete.

Covell and Cheyenne Middle School/Uptown Market

This project will construct a traffic signal light at the intersection to provide for safer movements onto Covell Road.  This project will be funded using 100% city funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. The estimate cost is $400,000. The anticipated start is Fall 2021.

December 2020 update:
Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present contract at upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council.

Phase 4, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) on 33rd Street, Boulevard, and Bryant

This project consists of installing 11 miles of fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on 33rd Street from Broadway to Coltrane and on Boulevard from 33rd to 2nd St and on Bryant from 33rd to 2nd St in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network. 
The estimated construction cost is currently unknown. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. After completion of the phase 4 project, 85% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 15% are running off older technology.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present at upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council.

15th and Kelly

This project will widen and reconstruct the intersection and provide dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. The widening on Kelly will include a raised median and extend 2,300 feet to the north and 500 feet to the south of 15th with a northbound left turn lane onto Val Genes Rd, a southbound left turn onto driveway to the Tennis Facility and a southbound left turn lane onto Signal Ridge. 15th Street will extend 550 feet to the west and 1,400 feet to the east. The existing eastbound left turn lane at State St. will be lengthened to provide more capacity for vehicles entering the Tennis Facility. The intersection of 15th and Kelly will include a full depth reconstruction with concrete pavement. Drainage structures will be upgraded and a new traffic signal will be installed.
The estimated construction cost is currently unknown. The City will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Construction date is currently unknown.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present contract at upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council.

2nd Street/Edmond Rd ADA improvements

This project consists of reconstructing portions of sidewalks and wheelchair ramps that do not currently meet compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Current construction cost is estimated at $3,807,000. City staff will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Construction date is currently unknown.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present contract at an upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council.

Downtown ITS/ADA/Street Lighting

This project consists of installing fiber optics and replacing the traffic signal cabinets, controllers, and associated signal equipment at 6 intersections on Broadway from First Street to Ayers in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.  The intersection wheelchair ramps will be brought into compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards. The existing street lighting will be replaced with new decorative street lighting. This project will be funded with 100% City funds. 
The estimated construction cost is $3,870,000.  The anticipated start date is April 2020.

December 2020 update: The only bid received was twice as much as projected. The project is currently on hold pending discussions and determinations of other downtown projects.

Danforth Widening, Thomas to Fretz 


This project will widen Danforth to a five-lane roadway with a left turn lane into Edmond North High School The project includes an eastbound left turn lane at Thomas and modification of signal light.  

The city will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% City funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Estimated construction cost is $3,305,942. The anticipated start date is unknown.

​Covell Widening from Broadway to east of Bryant

This project will widen Covell to provide for a four-lane divided roadway where possible. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets where possible. Covell may also include street lighting, 10-foot-wide multi-use paths/sidewalks, and landscaping.

The project is currently under design however, no construction funding is identified at this time. The estimated construction cost is $15,644,972. The start date is currently unknown. 

Oklahoma Department of Transportation

The following projects are listed in the Oklahoma Department of Transportation 8-year construction plan.

These projects are in or near the City of Edmond and are shown for informational purposes only.

Federal Fiscal Year 2021

29843(06) I-35: NB and SB bridges over Waterloo Road, Right-of-Way $1,591,350

29843(07) I-35: NB and SB bridges over Waterloo Road, Utilities $1,621,800

Federal Fiscal Year 2022

32425(06) I-35: from Memorial Rd to State Highway 66, Right-of-Way $105,915.10

32425(07) I-35: from Memorial Rd to State Highway 66, Utilities $105,915.10

Federal Fiscal Year 2023

24356(04) State Highway 66, Post Rd to Westminster Rd, Grade Drain Resurface, $6,678,000

29843(04) I-35 over Waterloo Rd, New Interchange, $41,569,469.44

33774(05) I-35 from State Highway 66 to Waterloo Rd, Right-of-Way, $530,000

33774(06) I-35 from State Highway 66 to Waterloo Rd, Utilities, $530,000

Federal Fiscal Year 2024

24356(08) State Highway 66 from Division St in Arcadia east to appr 1 mile, Right-of-Way, $500,000

32425(05) I-35 Frontage Rd modifications Memorial to State Highway 66, Grade Drain Surface, $9,999,999.99

Federal Fiscal Year 2025

24356(09) State Highway 66 from Division St in Arcadia east to appr 1 mile, Utilities, $100,000

32425(08) I-35 Frontage Rd modifications Memorial to State Highway 66, Grade Drain Surface, $10,000,000

Federal Fiscal Year 2026

24356(07) State Highway 66 from Division St in Arcadia east 1 mile, grade drain surface, $1,509,433.96

26423(04) State Highway 66 from ½ mile east of Anderson, east 7.6 miles, widen & resurface $11,000,000

Federal Fiscal Year 2027

Federal Fiscal Year 2028

33774(04) I-35 from State Highway 66 north to Waterloo Rd, Grade Drain Surface, $16,000,000

34987 (04) US 77 (Broadway) from Comfort Dr north to 2nd St then east to I-35, resurface, $11,000,000